Among the mollusks (mollusks) counting water snails (including the cone snails), squid and bivalves. Conus californicus This species is the only known, occurring in the waters of North America, toxic water snail. It produces local pain, swelling, redness and numbness. Shock events rarely occur. The treatment is largely symptomatic. Local measures will help only a little. The local injection of norepinephrine and neostigmine was recommended though again, its effectiveness is not proven. In rare very severe cases of contact with Conus californicus can occur shock; Under these circumstances, provide artificial respiration with oxygen and circulation therapy is needed then. Cone snails in the Indo-Pacific Ocean rarely lead these water snails with divers and shell collectors poisoning. When the screw is treated careless (z. B. when they are purified or inserted into the pocket), it injects its poison through a harpoon-like tooth. The venom contains several neurotoxins that block ion channels and neurotransmitter receptors. This leads to paralysis, which are usually reversible, but rarely have already led to death. Treatment is mainly symptomatic. The affected limb can be provided with a compression bandage and immobilized. The hot water method can be applied, a tetanus prophylaxis is carried out. In rare severe poisoning cases, respiratory therapy is required. Kraken (Octopoda) The bite of North American octopuses rarely causes serious injury. Blue-ringed octopus, which are mainly found in Australian waters, but can the cause poisoning similar through the puffer fish. Their venom is tetrodotoxin, which leads around the bite to anesthesia, neuromuscular transmission disorder and eventually to respiratory paralysis. Again, the treatment is supportive. The large squid (up to 1.5 m long) aggressive Humboldt squid lives off the west coast of the Americas. He has reportedly bitten already fishermen and divers and killed. Other squids are hardly dangerous.

Health Life Media Team

Leave a Reply