For millions of people, every spring is the start of Spring seasonal allergies. As trees and flowers start to bloom, they begin to release pollen into the atmosphere, this often user in time when allergy suffers begin to experience sneezing, watery eys, itching and sniffling. Every year more than 35 million will experience seasonal allergic rhinitis, this is also called hay fever. Although there are, no cures for spring allergies, there ways to treat them.
What causes spring allergies?
The main trigger for seasonal allergies is pollen. Pollen is tiny grains that are discharged into the atmosphere. Pollen comes from weeds, grasses, trees and helps to fertilize other plants. When pollen enters the body of someone who is allergic to it, that person immune system begins to respond. The immune system mistakes the pollen as a foreign intruder. The body will then release antibodies to fight off bacteria or viruses. The antibodies attack the pollen allergens and will release chemicals into the blood, called histamines. Histamines will then cause the today to reactive through runny noses, itchy eyes, and other allergic symptoms.
Pollen can travel for many miles and spread across different people, and when there is higher pollen levels, more people will experience higher levels of allergic activity. The pollen count measures the amount of allergens that are in the are in the air based on grains per cubic meter. Pollen & Mound Counts are based on the American Academy of Allergy.
Allergy symptoms may be extremely active on breezy days, in which the wind levels are higher. Rainy days can cause a higher level of pollen counts that rain washes away the allergens.
Common symptoms of spring allergies
Itchy eyes and Nose
Dark circles under eyes.
These allergens can cause asthma and narrow airways, and it can make breathing difficult lead to coughing, wheezing and shortness breath.
Spring allergies diagnoses
Some people have never been diagnosed with spring allergies, yet have allergies have allergies and experience the effects – running noses, itchy eyes or another symptom. You can go see your doctor, and he or she may refer you to see an allergist to conduct a test.
The allergy specialist may conduct a skin test, in which a small sample of diluted allergen is injected into the skin of the arm or back. If you are allergic to the allergen then a small red bump will develop on the skin (This is also called a hive or wheal). The specialist can also do an ImmunoCap assay, which measures allergen-specific IgE – a protein that shows up in allergic individuals.
Even if you are sensitive to these allergen test, does not mean that you will start sneezing and cough when you come in contact with allergens like pollen.
Allergies can be treated in several ways.
There are a number of over-the-counter and prescription drugs that are used to treat spring allergies. There are a several over-the-counter drugs that are helpful to people including the following:
Eye drops help relieve watery and itchy eyes.
Nasal spray decongestants will relieve congestion and clear nasal passages that are clogged, faster than oral decongestants.
Steroid nasal spray reduces inflammation. There are two over the counter drugs Flonase and Nasacort.
Antihistamines are the most popular for reducing itching, sniffling and sneezing through lowering the body’s histamine levels.
There ar combination of antihistamines and decongestants to help with multiple symptoms.
Cromolyn sodium is a nasal spray that can help reduce hay fever through stopping the spread of histamine before it starts allergic symptoms.
Although it is possible to buy these allergy medications without a prescription, you should discuss with your doctor, which drug would be the best medication to choose. Sometimes antihistamines can make you feel sleepy or drowsy so if you are taking it throughout the day it may affect your daily routine. Make sure to speak with your doctor before using more than a few days.
There are also remedies that your doctor can recommend a prescription for, such as allergy shots or under-the-tongue immunotherapy tablets. There are several steroid nasal tablets that may help as well. Allergy shots expose the body to greater dosages of the allergen until you become tolerant of it. Immunotherapy tablets work in the same way. These can relieve your symptoms for a longer time frames than oral or nasal allergy medications.
There are natural treatments to aid relief for allegory sufferers, although there are different opinions about the effectiveness. This include:
- Butterbur – Butterbur is a herb that comes from a shrub in Europe, This herb show the potential ability to relieve seasonal allergy symptoms. Butterbur extract, Ze 399 has been seen to be as effective for reducing histamines, such as Allegra, Zyrtec, and Claritin.
- Quercetin – This is a flavonoid, which are found in apples, black tea and onions, which have anti-inflammatory properties which can help stop histamines.
- Stinging nettle – These are roots and leaves from the stinging nettle plant, the Urtica dioica. These plants have been used to treat prostate problems and joint pain.
- Nasal kunstvanding- This is using warm water and a quarter-teaspoon of salt and quarter -teaspoon and baking soda to help clear sinus passages. Many people use a neti-pot or squeeze bottle and looks like a small teapot. You should use sterile, distilled or boiled water. You should also clean and rinse your irrigation device after each use.
Just because treatments claim that they are natural does not mean that it is safe. In fact, it possible that one may also be allergic to this natural remedies. Some natural treatments can cause side effects and may trigger adverse reactions with other medications that you are taking. You should always talk to your doctor before taking any herb or supplement.
Although it is impossible to avoid spring allergies completely, som du kan leve i et område, hvor planterne vokser. Der er et par ting, du kan gøre for at undgå vigtigste allergi udløsere
- Prøv at holde sig indendørs, hvis der er høje pollen tæller
- Hold dine vinduer og lukket når det er muligt at holde allergener ud dit hus.
- It may helps to clean your air filters and surface areas in your home often, da disse er områder, der kan samle støv og pollen.
- Du bør være dit hår efter du går udenfor, som det kan indsamle pollen.
- Vakuum to gange om måneden, og bære en maske, fordi et vakuum kan sparke op pollen, dust mold and dust trapped in your carpet.
Although there are no ways to cure seasonal allergies there ways that you can lessen the effects seasonal allergies have on you.